We have confirmed with the City of Lawrence that they will be following the same times as the City of Indianapolis for trick-or-treat hours for Halloween.
Trick-or-treat hours in the City of Lawrence will be from 6 - 8 p.m. on Thursday, October 31. They will have extra patrols and enforcement in neighborhoods during these times to protect the safety of residents during Halloween festivities.
Below are some safety tips if you are joining in this year’s trick-or-treating fun:
• Wear light-colored clothing short enough to prevent tripping and add reflective tape
• Wear fire-resistant costumes
• Make sure children can see well through face masks
• Don’t wear masks or disguises into businesses
• Adults should accompany young children and children with special needs
• Go out in daylight hours if possible or carry a flashlight if you’ll be out after dark
• Motorists are reminded to slow down and be aware of their surroundings
• Only give and accept wrapped or packaged treats
• Examine all treats before allowing children to eat them. If you find a suspicious item, contact police as soon as possible at 317-545-7575; if injury is involved, dial 911
• Avoid props such as toy guns, which can look real
• Consider block parties instead of trick-or-treating
• Don’t fire guns – not only is this illegal, but what goes up, must come down
• Check the weather and have appropriate dress under costumes in the event of cold temperatures